Sunday 20 September 2009

VIVA VIVIENNE!



As one of my all time heroines Vivienne Westwood’s Red label show was an absolute must see this fashion week. I have always loved her heroic romantic vision, her love of history and inspiration taken from the Georgian era. Backstage at the Old Sorting Post Office on New Oxford Street was chaotic and buzzing and ram packed full of make up artists, camera crews, hair stylists and wall-to-wall models. I spotted Daisy Lowe looking like her heart was full of sorrow (perhaps her rumoured break up with her boyfriend Will is to blame) as well as Pixie Geldof with new blonde hair extensions jumping about.

I mustered all my courage to approach Dame Vivienne herself and got to have a chat with her backstage. She told me, “ the collection is influenced on my archive and a woman who was very bad”. This look was translated by MAC’s Gordon Espinet Vice President of Global make up artistry who also happens to be a fellow Trini (Trinidadian) like me. He explained, “ Vivienne had lots of biblical references and wanted to create a seductress who had an affair with Joseph and had told lies about her husband she’s bad, beautiful and a little evil. There is no colour on the face I just used pencils and a palette of taupes such as hudge pudge, concrete, coquette and omega to pull down the corners of the mouth and eyes”. Peter Grey using L’Oreal Professionnel completed the look with Alice in Wonderland inspired hair, which looked slightly ratty, naughty and as if it hadn’t been brushed through.

Vivienne’s show offered up an explosion of ideas and creativity, which left me walking out on a fashion and beauty high, which could also have been helped along by hairspray and no windows backstage. I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails