Monday 2 March 2009

Am I my hair?



I have just discovered the amazing song by India Arie ‘I am not my hair’, which really struck a cord with me.

I don’t think it’s an accident that when my hair looks fierce- it’s a good day. In my time I have had every hairstyle known to womankind. I have had braids, a Jheri curl perm (think Shirley Temple), a weave Naomi Campbell would be proud of and I even shaved all my hair off once (I wasn’t doing a Britney- it was due to a botched chemical job). Bad hair days are a reality and when it comes to reading a woman’s emotional state of mind, a good place to start is by looking at the top of her head.

One friend years ago after breaking up with a bad boy had all her long hair cut off, which ended up looking like a homage to Joan of Arc. 24 hours and 3 boxes of Kleenex later, she splashed out on hundreds of pounds worth of extensions to get the same length and style back. When it comes to a lady’s hair all bets are off.

When it comes to my hair today nothing makes me feel more fabulous than a blow-dry and there are a handful of people in London I trust to deal with my thick, rebellious, afro hair.

One of the best stylists I have ever met is now one of my good friends Paulette Blake, tel, 07723340911. She is based in Manchester but my polite stalking and hysterical cries along with those of many other London girls, means she comes to London every 2 months to see her loyal fans and chemically relaxes my hair.

Angela Mitchell at MichealJohn is another blow-dry Queen and I see her for regular blow- dries and treatments, which has meant my hair has never looked healthier.

My days of being a hair slut are well and truly behind me. Anyone looking for a power blow-dry, which will last should see the magician Chris at Daniel Hersheson at Harvey Nichols, after he finishes with your hair it looks like you’re walking around with a wind machine in your pocket. I also think Giles at John Frieda at the Alford Street salon is really talented and makes you look catwalk ready even if you are just going home to watch Corrie.

Am I my hair? No, but I can’t deny my hair is a part of me and my well-being and I will be seeing you blow -dry genius’ again soon.

2 comments:

  1. this is such a great post! I love it! I have been on the look out for a great salon to deal with my hair as I have gone au natural..(beneath the weave mind you).

    This has been very informative thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I know it was quite some time since this post was put on but paulette used to be my hairdresser until I called up the salon one day for my 6 week cut and blow to be told she had left the salon and can't give me her contact details or her where abouts. I have been freaking out because when you find a hairdresser that can deal with Afro carribean hair like her no one else will do! If you have her new contact details I would be very greatful. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails